Buy this Shell Scripting Tutorial as a PDF for only $5
This is just some of the feedback that this tutorial has received over the years.
You might also want to see some of the University Degree and similar courses which link to this tutorial as a teaching resource for their Undergraduates.
- Tutorial amigable de Shell Scripting y el TLD del sitio me parece genial ! : https://www.shellscript.sh/ -- https://twitter.com/eudyzerpa/status/927315483694718977
- The best succinct and free Shell Scripting Tutorial that I have even seen - https://www.shellscript.sh/ #shellscript #unixscript
- I'm on to something here, found a new gem of info | https://www.shellscript.sh/index.html #shellscripting
- "Hello; I read this tutorial. It's so helpful.
Thank you for this information"
- "I spent a couple hours to read all of the shell scripting tutorial over the weekend. I liked it a lot and now I understand scripting much better. Just wanted to say thank you. Great intro for anyone who wants to know about Shell Scripting!"
- "I just started read your shell scripting book..
I have no words..i didn't see a book like this in my life. You are awesome."
- "Hello Steve, i happen to stop on your site http://www.shellscript.sh/ for shell tutorials. I find it really helpful for me really as i am just a beginner."
- "Thanks for hosting www.shellscript.sh website! I've started reading yesterday evening because I noticed I don't understand shell scripting good enough to create those scripts fast and easy.
At this very moment I'm working on some scripts to prepare, install and launch some FreeBSD Bhyve VMs.
The information, both the content as well as the structure, were exactly what I was looking for to have a good basic understanding of shell scripting. So again, a big thank you for sharing this information for free on shellscript.sh, I do appreciate this!"
- "great tutorial. Easy to follow. It's really helping me to refresh'n up on my shell scripting."
- "Thanks for your tutorial. It is really helpful. Just wanted to let you know that there is somebody out here that appreciates your help and effort in having this online."
-- Orlando, Albuquerque NM
- "really helpful and well-done, that's all."
- "I'm interested in learning how to script using the Bourne shell, so I just wanted to write a quick note to say thanks for your site and providing all of this really good information for me to study."
-- Michael, New Mexico, USA
- "I feel this is a fine tutorial which will help grasp shell scripting."
- "Hi, first of all I would like to Thank you for the amazing website and all the information. To be honest this tutorial was more to the point and informative than the book we are currently using."
- "really thnx so much 4 that usefull site really u help me so much"
- "I ... am responsible for the maintenance of about 200 macs spread across Australia. I can already see that scripting is going to ease my maintenance tasks considerably."
- "I would like to thank you for the help I got from your web site. As such I am working as an DBA (Oracle) in a company."
- "Steve this is really good. You know I have the book Learning Shell Progrmming BASH, It is very boring and I didn't like it at all. But after I found your web site I am much more motivated to learn SHELL programming, because your language is easy and your examples are very easy and good to understand.
Thank you very much for such a good job."
- "Steve, I just want to congratulate u on a very good presentation of the shell scripts on your web site. Unix is a passion for me and I did get a lot of new stuff on your site. "
- "Thanks for the Bourne Shell Tutorial! It is clear and concise. "
- "I'm currently teaching a couple of summer school computer classes, and I wanted to let you know that your Bourne Shell Tutorial has been a great help. I was able to point a couple of my more motivated students, who had expressed an interest in programming, at the tutorial and let them work through it. Both are now writing shell scripts and showing a solid grasp of the material.
Also, I found it to be a great introduction for myself; I've done some programming in C, C++, and in Java (along with a smattering of other languages), but never had a solid introduction to shell programming--my experience with shell programs focused largely on trudging through startup scripts to figure out what was realling going on in routing tables and whatnot. However, by reading your tutorial and being able to look back at it, I've been able to actually understand a lot more of what those scripts are doing, as well as write a couple of my own. "
- "Thanks for the excellent shell scripting tutorial. It's been a long while since I've written anything in sh and your page was an excellent refresher course. Not too mention, I learned a couple of new tricks while I was there, too. Thank you again for taking the time to make that available via the web."
-- Dave Montgomery
- "I've recently used your tutorial and I find it very helpful. I've looked all over and yours happens to be the easiest to understand. Thanks alot and good luck with your programming!"
- "I've searched the web---your's is the BEST!! great tutorial! thanks"
- "Just a quick note to say thanks for your tutorial on Shell scripting.
I am somewhat new to Unix, having been an NT Admin for many years.
Out of nowhere I got dropped into my lap a 2 million dollar project which we had set up, mostly run on Unix.
The guy they hired to manage it, and the Unix admin both got canned and they wanted me to manage the whole thing.
Mainly I manage NT Boxes, program in Perl, VB, some Java, and I am also the data base engineer and admin.
I am a strong believer in automating things using programming (the new version of PERL with the Win32 wraps makes life a heckuva lot easier!) and this new set of systems we have is in desperate need of some good programming. 6 Sun servers and 2 NT boxes all working together for a CTI system in a call center - if the IVR or any box has problems it can affect our service greatly.
Thanks to you and your quick tutorial I am able to throw together the scripts I need to assist me in my job. Keep up the excellent work! Got anything on C ;) "
- "I haven't been in Unix for over two and half years as I was made redundant from the position I had - fairly junior, but looked adter an RS6000 and informix database of which I was given no training for over a year - and found it difficult to get a position that wasn't either very technical or too senior.
I don't have any scritping experience as such as all the scripts were in place by my predessor - I was responsible for editing files, backups, sql's, file space etc.
I have found a site that is both easy to understand and very informative - It's an area I would like to move back in to
have you thought about writing a text book?
Please feel free to send me your own feedback via the form below.
Books and eBooks
You can mail me with this form. If you expect a reply, please ensure that the address you specify is valid. Don't forget to include the simple addition question at the end of the form, to prove that you are a real person!